Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-06 13:49:22

jorkel
Eggcornista

SHRIEKING violet (shrinking)

Google counts on Sept 6, 2006
418,000 shrinking violet
2170 shrieking violet
Analysis by Joe Krozel

A “shrinking violet” is a shy person who shrinks from familiarity with others. A “shrieking violet” must be the same thing except that (s)he is liable to shriek when her/his space is invaded! In another common usage, a “shrieking violet” is not shy at all, but vociferous.

(Side note: there was a 1940’s horror movie “Shrieking Violet”)

Examples:

The commeupance of the common ned. – Guitar Tab Universe – Forumunsure : i ’ ll have to disagree . So , you ’ d rather have a shrieking violet then a rose in full bloom ? GilmourIsGod. Aug 17 2005 , 06 : 46 PM. Post # 15 …
www.guitartabs.cc/forum/index.php?showtopic=139575 – 112k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

I Like to Watch – Salon”Cracking Up” joins the deranged family circus, “The OC” sets its Seth trap, and UPN becomes a shrieking violet over a wailing Shandi. ...
www.salon.com/ent/tv/review/2004/03/15/i_like/ – 23k – Cached – Similar pages

WOW Report: The St. James VersionAnd even though she was dressed very demurely in a “please-don’t-notice-me” shrieking violet tracksuit and big bug glasses, everybody knew it was her and …
worldofwonder.net/archives/2005/Oct/26/the_st_james_version.wow – 47k – Cached – Similar pages

Who’s your favorite “Avatar: The Last Airbender” character? – Toon …The Avatar crew succeded here in creating a female charecter who’s not a “shrieking violet” or “unfeminine.” I became an even bigger fan of her charecter …
forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?t=173481 – 93k – Sep 4, 2006 – Cached – Similar pages

Seton Motley’s NewsoftheDay.org | A Publication of The Less …Molly Ivins is , indeed , a shrieking violet . Today , she , I would have to assume ignorantly , fails to make any distinction between prisoner abuse and …
www.newsoftheday.org/node?from=120 – 39k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

The RPG Duelling League – Character BiographyThough she may belong to the Etrurian nobility, Lady Louise of Reglay is no shrieking violet. A skilled archer, Louise is more comfortable on the frontlines …
www.rpgdl.com/character.php?name=FE7_Louise – 4k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Empire Reviews Central… Mola Ram , is underwritten to the point of insignificance , and compare Willie to Raiders ’ Marion and she comes off as a shrieking violet . ...
www.empireonline.com/reviews/essays/ess … FID=132813 – 73k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer