Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-06 20:39:11

jorkel
Eggcornista

HypochondriACT (-ac)

From the website: http://ilx.wh3rd.net/thread.php?msgid=4047324
hypochondriact —koogs (il…), January 25th, 2006.
Google search on Sept 6, 2006
760,000 “hypochondriac”
1330 “hypochondriACT”
Analysis by Joe Krozel

A “hypochondriac” is someone who imagines (s)he has physical ailments and may actually experience depression because of it. In view of the fact that the ailments are imagined, others are prone to judge their behavior as an act. Whence, the eggcorn “hypochondriact.”

Examples

Crazy, vivid and unreal nightmares. please tell me someone has …Anyway, hypochondriact or not im stil experiencing blatant symtoms that, to me, go beyond the diagnostic criteria for panic disorder. and this is whee the …
www.healthboards.com/mental-health/880.html – 27k – Cached – Similar pages

Chest pain in pregnancy – Justmommies ForumsThey said they think I am fine bc I am young and healthy and they asked me if I am a hypochondriact ! ? ! ? ! That’s rude , but I guess that means that they …
www.justmommies.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=176668 – 62k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages
[ More results from www.justmommies.com ]

still couldn’t have this version – Topic Powered by eve community… often classed or called a hypochondriact, even though your not, just cause you havn’ta condition easly fixed with one or 2 drugs or treatments. ...
disabilitynow.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/977103811/m/3421022401 – 49k – Cached – Similar pages

Hypochondria: question followupsRecently I read something that has kind of helped me- it said that being a hypochondriact is a form of control. And Iv’e noticed that as soon as I tell …
experts.about.com/q/Hypochondria-2163/f_4385517.htm – 19k – Sep 4, 2006 – Cached – Similar pages

Benjamin: December 2004 ArchivesAll this time Vicky is saying, I’m sure its just a sprain don’t be a hypochondriact. So we take him off down the hostpital, and wait and wait, ...
www.cight.com/benjamin/archives/2004/12/index.shtml – 7k – Cached – Similar pages

www.myspace.com/vittu1… im 20 yrs old, I go to college at International Academy of Design and Technology, Im pretty carfree, kinda laidback, but a tad bit of a Hypochondriact. ...
profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=63629188 – 157k – Cached – Similar pages

Last edited by jorkel (2006-09-06 20:47:48)

#2 2006-10-14 11:59:26

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: HypochondriACT (-ac)

I might add that the prefix hypo-(meaning “under”) is less familiar than it’s opposite hyper- (meaning “above”) that the latter is often substituted for the former when the distinction is not understood.

For instance…
23,000 ghits for HYPERchondriac

Board footer