Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-07 22:40:28

Tom Neely
Eggcornista

BARN NUN = an intentional eggcorn + Possibility of imaginary eggcorns

Today, when I responded to our colleague Ascared, I thought I was soooo… clever! I made up the eggcorn BARN NUN. But then I googled it, and I got 69 instances, most of them very clever takes on BAR NONE versus BARN NUN, one of which said that somebody was “the best barn nun, bar none.”

So this is an intentional eggcorn. Do we have a discussion of intentional eggcorns anywhere?

BUT! If I really had been the first person ever in cosmic history to come up BARN NUN, then BARN NUN would have been an imaginary eggcorn. Have you considered imaginary eggcorns?

I still am trying. How about BAR NINE? Or BARN NINE? I have dibs if nobody ever said them before! I am heading for Google right now to steak my clam.

#2 2006-09-07 22:45:57

Tom Neely
Eggcornista

Re: BARN NUN = an intentional eggcorn + Possibility of imaginary eggcorns

Harumph! 25,100 googles for BAR NINE, and 487 for BARN NINE. But I ain’t givin up. I will not cot and rum.(!!!)

#3 2006-09-07 22:51:33

Tom Neely
Eggcornista

Re: BARN NUN = an intentional eggcorn + Possibility of imaginary eggcorns

COT AND RUM!!!!! I just came up with it; I just googled it; I just struck out! I came, I googled, I won! Veni, Googli, Vici!

This is a new made-up eggcorn. This is what I was talking about: an imaginary eggcorn! COT AND RUM would be a good name for a sleazy bed and breakfast that caters to musicians and gamblers, no? I have dibs! I am heading straight for the trademark office.

Last edited by Tom Neely (2006-09-07 22:52:33)

Board footer