Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-08 13:58:43

du

color-coated

Sighting at: http://www.cockeyed.com/lessons/brakesh … es04.shtml

In helping to note which parts of a device are which, the parts were “identified and color-coated” rather than color-coded.

#2 2006-09-08 20:05:21

rorschach
Website

Re: color-coated

i like this one.

and for the record, i think most of the contributions in this forum are not really eggcorns; rather, they’re malapropisms or just plain mistakes. the whole point of an eggcorn is that the ‘new’ form of the expression/word has to make sense in the context in which it-and the original-was being used.

#3 2006-09-10 19:12:44

Tom Neely
Eggcornista

du – In manufacturing, they rarely paint anything anymore. They have a process where they spray colored powder onto metal parts, and the colored powder adheres via some sort of electrical charge, or by heat. This process is called POWDER COATING.

This sounds very much like your COLOR COATED. And it might be the basis for a valid eggcorn. It IS a mistake, but it has a conceptual basis. And it fits the situation. Many of your color-coded parts probably have been powder-coated. And… This makes me wonder whether there might be an eggcorn “power-coated”, based on “powder-coated.”

Did you try COLOR COATED in Google? What did you find?

#4 2006-09-11 06:07:38

du

Yes I did and I found a lot of uses.

I agree that “color-coated” definitely sounds like a mistake with meaning, so to speak.

#5 2006-09-11 09:51:17

jorkel
Eggcornista

du, your eggcorn is quite interesting, and could use further validation. Let me see if I can help find a few unambiguous examples where “color coded” is intended, but the eggcorn “color coated” is being used.

The Google search which gave me 652 hits is: “color coated” identify
I figured that the purpose of color coding is to help with identification, so I tagged on the word “identify” for the search. It seems to have done the trick:

[PDF] Institutional Repositories: A Review of Content Recruitment …File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat – View as HTML
simple color-coated system to identify the policies of publishers in regards to. depositing pre- and post-prints into IRs. 3. Content harvesting …
www.ifla.org/IV/ifla72/papers/155-Mark_Shearer-en.pdf – Similar pages

Piano Forums at Piano World: Color Coated Warning for Terrorism?Author, Topic: Color Coated Warning for Terrorism? ... organizations when they’re training to identify and respond to threats on an interpersonal level. ...
www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.p … /9/64.html – 84k – Cached – Similar pages

Although this example uses BOTH terms, “molded” items are not “coated” items per se…
Color coded beverage cap collection with permanent passive indicia …It is not a bottle cap but it helps drinkers of beverages identify whose … Each of the bottle caps are color coated or molded in different colors to …
www.freepatentsonline.com/6745505.html – 41k – Cached – Similar pages

[DOC] KING COUNTY JOB ANALYSISFile Format: Microsoft Word – View as HTML
Identify Training needs for staff and facilitate staff development. Participate in the development, ... Some charts and files are color coated. ...
www.metrokc.gov/ohrm/kcjabank/Documents … 200202.doc – Similar pages

Engineered Fall Protection Systems Many factors affect the design …Once these anchorage points are certified for use, they can be color-coated to identify acceptable points for employees to tie off to. ...
www.ohsonline.com/.../d3d5b4f938b22b6e8 … enDocument – 18k – Cached – Similar pages

[DOC] KING COUNTY JOB ANALYSISFile Format: Microsoft Word – View as HTML
Occasionally for 15 minutes at a time for up to 2 hours total in a work shift while identifying color coated wires and hoses on machines. TEMPERAMENTS …
www.metrokc.gov/ohrm/kcjabank/Documents … wright.doc – Similar pages

Fusion of bone marrow-derived stem cells with cardiomyocytes in a …However, the identity of BMCs as true cardiomyocytes is still ambiguous. ... Thus, the obtained merged data files contain the color-coated information of …
ejcts.ctsnetjournals.org/cgi/content/full/28/5/685 – Similar pages

#6 2006-09-13 14:05:10

du

I don’t know how the submission system really works here, but in any case it looks like someone got here before me:

http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/english/544/color-coated/

#7 2006-09-13 23:54:23

patschwieterman
Administrator

Well, I never promised anyone I’d flag every case where a word was already in the Database. I try, but the truth is that I’d just plain forgotten we already had “coded>>coated.” Sorry about that. Maybe we should parcel out alphabetical blocks of say 100 Database entries to particular people…. “Hey, you, watch out for anything in A-F!”

And the discussion threads have suddenly exploded into liveliness in the last few weeks. It’s great, but I’m not always managing to read everything anymore.

#8 2021-05-19 06:26:40

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

From a comment to my daughter on the Internet:

I just learned that it is “sugar coated” and not “sugar coded”.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer