Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-11 09:03:04

jschrag

"fermenting" a revolt

I came across this one in an article I was reading today: “Having had bad experiences with sudden, drastic changes that fermented virtual user revolt”

I think this qualifies as an eggcorn—- ‘fermenting’ revolt instead of ‘fomenting’. One can imagine the seeds of revolt bubbling within a society in the way that yeast ferments a beverage.

I did a google search—- I got over 47000 pages with both “fermenting” and “revolt”. (At a quick scan of the top 50 or so, a few really were about fermenting, but most were the eggcorn.) Interestingly, “fomenting” and “revolt” only turns up 91000 hits. This could imply that the eggcorn version makes up over 1/3 of uses of the expression!

Anyway, I didn’t find it in the database, so I thought I’d post it here. Enjoy!

-john

#2 2006-09-11 09:50:39

Tom Neely
Eggcornista

Re: "fermenting" a revolt

jschrag – Do you suppose we could FURMENT a revolt among the minks down on the mink farm? Or we could FOAMENT a revolt among the people who pick the grapes in Champagne?

#3 2006-09-11 11:39:50

Tom Neely
Eggcornista

I may have run afowl of eggcorn prodigal here. Mine were tribute jokes in honor or jschrag’s eggslent entry. I do not propose them, but I will try to google them. If they come up, I will let you know. If not, I hope they made you smile.

#4 2006-09-12 17:20:43

motty

Believe it or not I was actually on the point of posting ‘ferment’ for ‘foment’ when I read the above post. Now I don’t have to make the embarrassing admission that I have been using this particular eggcorn myself for years.

Oops.

#5 2015-09-11 17:05:44

JasonEisner

Here’s another sighting:

“Which raises another question: why can we accept that Egypt can have phones ubiquitous enough to ferment a revolution, yet act surprised when a wealthier country not too far away isn’t in a similar situation?”

Spotted in a newspaper column by James O’Malley, September 7, 2015.
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com … 89719.html

Board footer