Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-15 14:46:04

jorkel
Eggcornista

CRASHendo (crescendo)

Google hits on Sept 15, 2006
498,000 “crescendo of”
26 “crashendo of”
Note: I tagged on “of” to facilitate the Google search for eggcorn usage. Other eggcorn constructions (without “of”) may be possible, but the list is too hard to sort through.
Analysis by Joe Krozel

“Crescendo” (in music) is a gradual increase in volume. And the loudness of a CRASH is surely inspiration for the eggcorn “crashendo.”

Examples

Macromedia Flash: Why have my swf’s turned into links/hit spacebar …It is obvious that a lot of folks are going to join the crashendo of shouting about this fiasco – - soon . It is actually a good thing for small business . ...
www.experts-exchange.com/Web/WebDevSoft … 15505.html – 68k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Goodbye And Hello – Tim Buckley – Review – Why hello there …The only shame with that, is the song isn’t loud enough to shout above the crashendo of the modern era in music. 8/10 Write your own review …
cd.ciao.co.uk/Goodbye_And_Hello_Tim_Buckley__Review_5586220 – 44k – Cached – Similar pages

MPFS Discussions > Fear ForceThis builds and builds for about 3 and half mins before launching into the first crashendo of beats, never quite getting too frenzied. ...
www.mpfspromotions.com/forum/lofiversio … t9313.html – 14k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Middlebridge (September ‘96): Re: [Mid] Re: An Inscription for Nyou, and of all sudden times a crashendo of applause sweep you up unto the lights that decend as if from heaven. Would this not be a heady …
www.midrealm.org/middlebridge/archives/ … /1838.html – 10k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Ashley’s Songsa roaring ethereal crashendo of cascading harmonies and seething guitars. Simple but very effective. One of those you wished you written yourself. ...
us.geocities.com/perrysmith.geo/ashleysongs.html – 6k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

AATW Community :: View topic – Which Mix is being used as the …Hopefully it will all come together on the same week , very soon , in a crashendo of musicall wonderfulness ! Felli ! _ …
www.aatwc.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=204 … 5502369868 – 51k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

#2 2006-09-15 18:38:12

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: CRASHendo (crescendo)

Jorkel – this must surely be a genuine long-established folk-eggcorn. I remember it from my childhood and it made perfect sense – a crash at the end then an ‘o’ to signify its Italian ancestry. When I finally got to see the word it looked like something to do with the moon, sort of quiet and pale with distant overtones of a scimitar, not at all what I had expected.
The problem with learning to read, and acquiring the smattering of received pronunciation deemed necessary to converse with my teachers meant that I was obliged to ‘tune out’ all manner of delicious but illegitimate usages, on pain of ridicule, mockery and humiliation. I suspect most of us have undergone a similar process. I am delighted to have my memory jogged and vow to keep trying to tune back in.

#3 2006-09-17 02:53:49

jorkel
Eggcornista

Interesting comments, Peter. I really thought that the proposed eggcorn might be quite rare. Are you suggesting that a folk etymology might be at play here?

Last edited by jorkel (2006-09-17 02:54:31)

#4 2006-09-17 11:45:59

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

I seem to recollect my introduction to the word being accompanied by vigorous movements of the arms, as if clashing a mighty pair of cymbals. Suddenly inspired, I have just tapped in ‘clashendo’ with every expection of some tiny success but Go ogle simply sneered, “Did you mean ‘crashendo’?”
As to folk etymology, dear Jorkel, my poor wits need several weeks to find their fellows before I dare hazard any opinion on any matter pertaining to English and its usage…

Board footer