Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-15 15:19:57

jorkel
Eggcornista

WRING true (ring) [wring out the truth]

Google counts on Sept 15, 2006:
1,700,000 “ring true”
489 “WRING true” + 479 “WRINGS true” Analysis by Joe Krozel

Something may “ring true” if it seems to be accurate or true. There may be a subconscious notion that “everything will come out in the wash” when the notion of “wring” enters the picture. “Wring” means to extract by twisting and compressing. I.e., the notion of forcing out the truth, perhaps. Whence, the proposed eggcorn “wring true.”

Also, note:
48,100 “ring out the truth”
3650 “wring out the truth”

Examples from the web:

Velveteen Rabbi: As God is holyYour words wring true to my eyes. I know I would not be able to define “holy” as smoothly as you have. Thank you for the food for thought, ...
velveteenrabbi.blogs.com/blog/2005/03/as_god_is_holy.html – 66k – Cached – Similar pages

STFC ForumThese aren ’ t mere cliches they do really wring true . Thanks for indulging me . 14 LATES T REPLIE S ( Newest First ) ...
www.thisisstfc.co.uk/.../post.asp?metho … FORUM_ID=3 – 45k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Philosophy Forum > Is peer-to-peer file sharing unethical?It just doesn’t seem to wring true with me. We can take a counter example and prove this premiss to be based on context only. For example if a company gives …
forum.darwinawards.com/lofiversion/index.php/t6436-600.html – 58k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Sam Vs. Liz – Page 2 – soapcentral.comI know for a lot of people that didn’t watch back the first time Jason and Liz were an almost that the scenes didn’t wring true. ...
boards.soapcentral.com/showthread.php?t=165071&page=2 – 107k – Cached – Similar pages

New Millennium Minds » Marketing the MilitaryThe BEST taglines are the ones that wring true! I strongly believe that this particular on liner is going to last a lifetime in my mind. ...
www.cybervillage.com/blog/archives/2004 … military/ 22k – Cached – Similar pages

Depression : Why so Many Are Afflicted with It! – Associated ContentI found that the more i am asked the worse that i feel, this may not wring true to everyone but i know it wrings true to many. ...
www.associatedcontent.com/article/25058 … icted.html – 28k – Sep 14, 2006 – Cached – Similar pages

Amazon.com: Profile For Joan E. Morrone: ReviewsUsing terrorist tactics to wring out the truth from our political prisoners, however, is a fallacious idea, as it will not bring respect from those we wish …
www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A1 … 5D?ie=UTF8 – 45k – Cached – Similar pages

Black Hills Vision – News”We are going to wring out the truth one way or another,” he said. In addition to their oft-mentioned argument that it is unwise for national security …
www.blackhillsvision.org/news/101305c.htm – 20k – Cached – Similar pages

#2 2006-09-17 02:56:18

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: WRING true (ring) [wring out the truth]

After I posted this one, I noticed a related eggcorn in the Database [WRING/ring] with a different context. (Not surprisingly), I like my eggcorn better, so I’ll just let it stand as is.

Board footer