Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2022-08-26 13:53:47

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'hang by a threat' for 'hang by a thread'

Assuming an entirely possible unfamiliarity with the basics of textiles, needlecraft, weaving and so on it could be that, should your hopes be threatened, you describe them as hanging by a threat.

Our hopes and dreams hang by a threat, strong yet vulnerable, shaken by the winds set by provocateurs, criminals and assassins, ...

Manchester United’s hopes of signing Raphael Varane this summer hang by a threat after reports emerged that the Real Madrid centre-back is …

But the fact is, that package that we passed last year that hung by a threat—if we’d had one less vote in the Senate, we would not have …

... to reimpose a 14-day quarantine is a massive blow to Spain’s holiday season, which was hanging by a threat even before the announcement.

Well I dreamt I fell into your web, and stuck around
But now I’m hanging by a fret, and it’s a long way down

#2 2022-09-09 07:11:51

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: 'hang by a threat' for 'hang by a thread'

Ooh, good one. And I think that only you would think to look for “hang by a fret”, Peter. Damocles certainly had reason to fret, sort of.

Last edited by David Bird (2022-09-09 07:42:00)

#3 2022-09-09 10:49:59

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

I get the picture of the web-stuck victim hanging by his fingernails onto the fret of a vertically-positioned guitar. Which, as you note, Tocayo, is reason to fret, sort of.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2022-09-09 10:51:24)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#4 2023-06-29 12:34:10

kem
Eggcornista

Good one.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer