Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2022-10-03 14:50:35

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

reckonize < recognize

It was used asidishly here , but we haven’t haven’t given reckonize its own entry.

The constraint force can now be obtained from (18) reckonizing that it acts on the bead directed normal to the wire.

[she] reaches into the water to rescue the drowning kid, upon seeing his deformed face she immedietely reckonizes him as …

3d printer communication with controller failed, com port is reckonized using correct driver.

But she probably wouldn’t reckonize him, he had changed a lot since she had last seen him. But he knew the one thing that would get her to reckonize him.

The eggcornish motivation is not hard to see: there is reckoning going on any time you take more than an instant (and arguably even when you take only an instant) to recognize someone or something. And, of course, few people bother to pronounce the g , making any reckoning of re-cognizance hard to achieve.
It occurs in the nominalized form as well:

it does get more reckonition as a bike club than it did as a car club

The Ayster has improved dramatically since his early days, almost beyond reckonition.

There are summer camps organized here, during which children learn water sampling, bird watching, plant reckonition, and they also walk through the …

Knoppix will allow you to save data and config to the usb and is pretty good with the hardware reckonition.

You might almost define an eggcorn as an instance of reckonizing the wrong components in a word or phrase.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2022-10-10 12:42:48

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: reckonize < recognize

...but we haven’t haven’t given reckonize its own entry.

Aah, those esses and zeds, or zees even. I thought I reckonised this. Right now I I should have the wit to insert a clickable blue here, wafting us back to 2007, but clearly I haven’t.

#3 2022-10-10 16:12:18

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Even in 2007 you reckonised this, feeling “sure it should have registered somewhere already.” And I had not the wit to reckon a zed might be an ess. Tally ho! Back to the chaize (lounge).

(btw the way I generate a clickable is to copy from the search-bar the url of the post I want to reference, then on the referring page put double-quote plus and plus double-quote around “here” or “whatever else” I want clickable, followed by a colon and then immediately:with no space the url. I think I copied it from kem back in the day. Apparently the + generates the underline, and the X turns it blue and clickable. Here I will try it without the pluses or plusses or whatever we call them: 2007 . If I am right it should be blue and clickable but not underlined. Is it? Nope, it’s underlined anyway. So maybe the plusses are redundant. I donno.)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2022-10-10 16:23:32)

#4 2022-10-13 13:16:20

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Thanks David, that seems simpler than the tortuous paths I’ve taken, without success, in the past. Don’t hold your breath though.

#5 2023-04-22 03:01:22

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

fwiw I think I want to rephrase what I said at the end of the first post above:
You might almost define an eggcorn as an instance of reckonizing the wrong componence in a word or phrase.
(seems like -nts <> -nce oughta be in here, and it probably is, but I’m again not finding something, probably because of looking wrong (besides looking ugly).) There’s an allusion in here .

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2023-04-22 07:27:14)

Board footer