Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2017-09-05 12:18:59

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

revelant < relevant

Jorkel posted (over 10 years ago, now) a list of items noted in Paul Brians’ wonderful Common Errors in English Usage . Among them, in Jorkel’s category of misspellings or misuses with some eggcorn potential, is revelant , but we don’t seem to have discussed it elsewhere on this forum, which surprises me. It is indeed common, as a quick Internet search can demonstrate.

Let’s Make Old Content Revelant ¶ Discussion in ‘Gotham City (Gameplay Discussion)’ started by MEBegnalsFan, Oct 11, 2015.

Keeping Your Site Revelant. By JLB Posted in – Seven Things on December 2nd, 2008

Animals Models Not Revelant to Humans

your measuring tool… is not revelant to my interests.

And so forth. Revelance and irrevelant/irrevelance are also common.

On Paradigms, Policy Revelance and Other IR Myths

The revelance of Jaspersian-Schneiderian psychopathology for today’s psychiatry
Article in Neurology Psychiatry and Brain Research 8(2):53-68 · January 2000

Multi selection option (choices irrevelant) – Facebook Messenger … ¶4 days ago – The choices are irrevelant!!

(Irrevelant / irrelevant also get mixed up with irreverent fwtw, but I don’t see eggcorning in that mess. Yet, anyway. French or other language words may be mixed in somehow as well—at least they show up very commonly in a google search.)
Surely it may often be merely a metathesis (order-switching error), either articulatory/auditory or typographical or both. (Cf. Peter’s recent post on coloration < correlation and rowing melory, melory all the way home, life being a dream of little piggies and all that). On the other hand it has plenty of eggcorn potential once it has arisen from whatever source.
Something is relevant to a topic pretty much only when it reveals some aspect of the topic, or at least emphasizes or confirms some previously revealed aspect. If revelant is understood to have to do with revelation (rather than, say, revelry), i.e. if it is a synonym for revelatory , it fits quite perfectly.
So perfectly that some consciously make use of the fact. E.g. note the scare quotes in the first example following:

<headline> Daily Telegraph release ‘revelant material’ from sting to police<end headline> ¶ The Football Association has confirmed that all relevant material from the Daily Telegraph’s undercover operation into football corruption has now been shared with City of London police.

REVELANCE – Reveal what’s relevant to embrace change.

But at least some of the many other uses are likely to be eggcorns.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2017-09-06 23:56:19)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2017-09-06 05:32:58

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: revelant < relevant

But at least some of the many other uses are likely to be eggcorns.

Agreed, and also that it’s odd we’ve not filleted it before now. Does it help support your case, I wonder, when the spelling makes the revealing plain?

Detail of related work you or your team has completed that is revealent to this project.

The oil weight has no revealance to your spring weight what-so-ever! I certainly would not use anything other than factory recommended weight …

To me nothing better illustrates the irrevealance of newspapers better than the fact the idiots at the Star and Tribune pay Souhan big bucks for his stupidity while ...

I do not have copy of carfax that was showed to me so that is irrevealant.but i do have 2 sets of paperwork aong with 2 sets of warranty papers.

Board footer