Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2022-10-14 08:13:32

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'saintimonious' for 'sanctimonious'

‘Sanctimonious’ having moved towards a kind of hypocritical piety, some users may be wish to emphasise the sacred rather than sanctions but perhaps not.

I don’t believe I’ve ever seen such a display of saintimonious furor. Just like an academic to toot your own horn…

Lets stop being saintimonious; some of the best and long lasting unions are of people that are not married; stop criticizing people because ..

He should have choked on all those saintamonious speeches he spewed out to Maya, he has no room to talk.

A simbling:

You see, I’m not obligated to be nice to you, ever, nor am I obligated to appeal to your sanctimoanius power fantasies of always being the goodest goy!

#2 2022-10-14 09:19:33

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: 'saintimonious' for 'sanctimonious'

I like saintimoanious, with the picture it brings of bewailing the dire state (or is it a strait?) of present-day morals. It occurs in the (perhaps, as you note) less saintly version as well, sometimes clearly as a conscious pun, but sometimes apparently not:

[Urban Dictionary definition] Sanctimoanious. An individual who pretends to be perfect while moaning at the appalling behaviour of those around him or her.

Penalty Charge Notice advice | General Discussion | Page 2 ¶ Oct 13, 2009 — Your sanctimoanious post ..VIS ….”utter nonsense being posted and advised.” will at best “Upset” members at worst cause “flaming”

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2023-07-02 11:53:46

kem
Eggcornista

Too bad “saintimoanious” isn’t in use—that would have been a two-bagger, like “eggcorn” itself.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2023-08-08 15:02:47

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Though isn’t the corn of acorn a cognate? Like saint is cognate with sanct(us), but with less phonological change to mark off a different branch of the derivation?

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2023-08-08 15:04:44)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer