Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2023-11-02 05:40:26

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'rumping up' for 'ramping up'

A ramp is a slope and the expression ramp up can mean an increase in effort, with perhaps some degree of urgency.
Rumping up suggests, to me at any rate, bringing in all available resources including those left behind. Additional effort from one’s hindquarters might be useful in the swift ascent of said incline.

5G is rumping up all over the world even before it was forecasting but to exploit its full potentiality Network slicing is mandatory and not yet adopted in …

Will check if rumping up the fans speed to 1200rpm will make the temp go down a lot.

Authorities should keep a close eye on their financial sectors (bank and non-bank). It’s never too late to rump up the supervision and regulation of the…

Why would Nintendo cripple the system at launch then all of a sudden massively rump up the speeds?

We are also likely to maintain the 6,000 centers to rump up the rate of vaccination to ensure that the vaccines do not go to waste,” Agyeman- ...

#2 2023-11-03 10:29:08

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: 'rumping up' for 'ramping up'

Hmmm. Any connection between donkeys and phrases like “pony up”? (Old Spanish joke: the donkey is one of the first to come to be named, so Adam gives him a name starting with “a”: asno . After he forgets his name 3 or 4 times and keeps coming back to be reminded, is instructed to repeat it ten times and still manages to forget it again, Adam says in exasperation: “Ay, pero ¡tú sí que eres burro!” “You are a donkey/so stupid!” Pure asininity in English, I guess.)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2023-11-03 10:49:28)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2023-11-04 17:36:18

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: 'rumping up' for 'ramping up'

My son reminds me of the phrase “get your rear in gear”, which would fit very well with rumping up.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer