Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-07-05 04:49:07

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

How does a contribution get added to the official eggcorn list?

I looked around the site and couldn’t find an answer to this, so forgive me if this is already answered somewhere, but how do contributions in the Contribute! section become “officially recognized” and get put on the list? Do “eggcorn officials” scan the posts and add those that meet certain criteria to the list?

And, should I try to include entire quotes as well as dates and specific attributions to any eggcorns I mention? Thanks in advance for any responses.

#2 2008-07-05 21:25:15

JonW719
Eggcornista

Re: How does a contribution get added to the official eggcorn list?

Hi, Dixon Wragg:

This is the $64,000 question here at Eggcorn Central. Many of us have posted submission upon submission without ever seeing one appear in the database. At one time there were powers-that-be that sifted our submissions, but I think the last time suggestions were added to the database was in December of last year. All the action is here in the forums, and you’ll see some lively discussion but no “official” additions to the database.
To answer another common newbie question: There are two seach engines available on the site; one is for the database, and the other is for the forum. One is the right hand, the other is the left, and neither knows what the other is doing! It’s good to search both before submitting to see if a new eggcorn suggestion is already listed somewhere. They are found in different places. The database search is on the home page (if I am recalling correctly), while the forum search engine is found on the Forum Index page. I would love to see a “stickie” note on the forum index page (something with a title along the lines of “Before you post an eggcorn suggestion”), but I don’t know if anyone here, even the administrators, can create such a note, which would stay located at the top of the forum index regardless of the passage of time, etc.

Last edited by JonW719 (2008-07-08 16:13:59)

Feeling quite combobulated.

#3 2008-07-08 16:14:15

JonW719
Eggcornista

Re: How does a contribution get added to the official eggcorn list?

The last entry to the database was actually more recent than I had thought (6/26/08). But regardless, they are entered rarely (at best). So enjoy the forum and the lively interaction there.

Feeling quite combobulated.

Board footer