Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2007-04-16 17:00:57

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

"picky back" for "piggy back"

piggy back – 1,270,000 ghits
picky back – 1,400 ghits but only 6 or so relevant

I hadn’t realised what a common word ‘picky’ is in AmEnglish but I’ve managed to extract a few citations. There is also the variant “pick a back” with 14,100 ghits, so I’m beginning to wonder whether ‘piggy back’ might be the eggcorn if there is one at all.
There are also several ‘picky banks’, but I can’t see how anyone could fail to notice the pinkness and pigginess of that money-box with a slot in its back…

... his poor father a picky-back ride on the opening night of the horse-show, so graphically depicted by Virgil.” “I never heard about that,” said Trilby. ...
www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext02/prhsb10.txt – 198k – Cached

“I give a guy a picky-back once,” continued the Bucking Bronco, ignoring ‘Erb, whom he usually treated as a mastiff treats a small cur. ...
gutenberg.net.au/ebooks07/0700341h.html

We got some footage of Andy and Phil giving this retard a picky back ride, it’s hilarious maybe some footage up later. Then Bobby bet Phil that he couldn’t …
www.freewebs.com/9mil/news.htm – 14k – Cached

Buddy if you want a Mac you better get a picky bank and start saving some bucks for a power Mac. Flyakite osx is the best pack at the moment out there… ...
www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9462 – 77k – Cached

Last edited by Peter Forster (2007-04-16 18:33:02)

Board footer