Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-04-16 12:00:57

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

"picky back" for "piggy back"

piggy back – 1,270,000 ghits
picky back – 1,400 ghits but only 6 or so relevant

I hadn’t realised what a common word ‘picky’ is in AmEnglish but I’ve managed to extract a few citations. There is also the variant “pick a back” with 14,100 ghits, so I’m beginning to wonder whether ‘piggy back’ might be the eggcorn if there is one at all.
There are also several ‘picky banks’, but I can’t see how anyone could fail to notice the pinkness and pigginess of that money-box with a slot in its back…

... his poor father a picky-back ride on the opening night of the horse-show, so graphically depicted by Virgil.” “I never heard about that,” said Trilby. ...
www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext02/prhsb10.txt – 198k – Cached

“I give a guy a picky-back once,” continued the Bucking Bronco, ignoring ‘Erb, whom he usually treated as a mastiff treats a small cur. ...
gutenberg.net.au/ebooks07/0700341h.html

We got some footage of Andy and Phil giving this retard a picky back ride, it’s hilarious maybe some footage up later. Then Bobby bet Phil that he couldn’t …
www.freewebs.com/9mil/news.htm – 14k – Cached

Buddy if you want a Mac you better get a picky bank and start saving some bucks for a power Mac. Flyakite osx is the best pack at the moment out there… ...
www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9462 – 77k – Cached

Last edited by Peter Forster (2007-04-16 13:33:02)

Board footer