Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-05-18 18:46:28

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

Wellfair for welfare

Been staying at my sister’s helping with the kids the last couple of weeks, got a call that my condo had flooded and flooded the one below it.
Headed there today to inspect the damage (ouch, its BAD), and on the door was a business card from the cops. They had broken in to make sure I wasn’t dying in there or something.

Written on the card was “We did a wellfair check.”

You can find a few more with a google search, though you have to sift through a ton of intentional uses (gimmicky names for various programs.)

I think it’s pretty clear that the writer was thinking of the words well and fair as being conditions a person might be in.

#2 2014-11-17 00:49:01

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: Wellfair for welfare

Yes, I think it is an eggcorn. As you suggest, the words “well” and “fair” point to an eggcornish meaning-connection, which is strengthened by the notion of fairness.

Here’s the example I encountered in an online discussion recently, which led me to resurrect this thread:

No they will give you a drivers license, a job or well fair, free medical, etc.

Board footer