Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2007-09-05 21:57:40

JonW719
Eggcornista

Tell tell or tell-tell vs. tell-tale

I searched for this one and was surprised not to find it: I often hear people talking (and writing) about “tell-tell” signs. I’ve even seen “the tell tell heart” referred to on a Google search.

This one is an easy one to understand: Depending on people’s accents or dialects, “tell-tale” can sound a lot like “tell-tell,” and “tell-tale” can be somewhat difficult to pronounce.

Feeling quite combobulated.

#2 2007-09-06 14:45:29

JonW719
Eggcornista

Re: Tell tell or tell-tell vs. tell-tale

Here are a couple of examples found on Google:

Tell Tell HeartIts original life came from Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Tell Tell Heart” ... Like the heart hidden below the floor it kept on beating. ...
www.tracyhicks.com/tell.htm – 9k – Cached – Similar pages

Tell Tell Signs that you are a Redneck!!! – TopixTell Tell Signs that you are a Redneck!!! Posted in the Top Stories in the Blogosphere Forum. COMMENTS. Showing posts 61 – 77 of 77 · « prev | next » ...
www.topix.com/forum/blogs/TM6SQI4FN2OKOPN8J/p4 – 63k – Cached – Similar pages

Your rehabilitationdirectory.info DirectoryIf so, what is the tell tell sign that they will not repeat the horrible act … (more). Is there really “Rehabilitations” for sexual predators and repeat …
rehabilitationdirectory.info/Results.aspx?page=answers&questionid=20070711080209AAhKnG3&query=Reh… – 40k – Cached – Similar pages

Comments on: I’m mad as hell and I’m not gonna take it anymoreAlso “Hitler’s Pope” takes a lot of his speeches out of context, the people’s reactions and the reaction of the government were a more tell-tell sign of the …
scottaaronson.com/blog/?feed=rss2&p=71 – 14k – Cached – Similar pages

Programming is too easy – Karl Seguin [MVP]It’s a tell-tell sign of a shop that doesn’t know HOW to look for people. Even if you are the right person, you’ll be working with, or replacing someone who …
codebetter.com/blogs/karlseguin/archive/2006/07/24/147628.aspx – 60k – Cached – Similar pages

Feeling quite combobulated.

#3 2007-09-07 13:59:58

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Tell tell or tell-tell vs. tell-tale

I just wanted to point out another variation—mentioned here in the forum—that was very amusing…

‘The Tall-Tale Heart’ for ‘The Tell-Tale Heart’ by klakritz Contribute! 1 2007-07-07 20:16:31 by patschwieterman

Board footer