Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-09-05 16:57:40

JonW719
Eggcornista

Tell tell or tell-tell vs. tell-tale

I searched for this one and was surprised not to find it: I often hear people talking (and writing) about “tell-tell” signs. I’ve even seen “the tell tell heart” referred to on a Google search.

This one is an easy one to understand: Depending on people’s accents or dialects, “tell-tale” can sound a lot like “tell-tell,” and “tell-tale” can be somewhat difficult to pronounce.

Feeling quite combobulated.

#2 2007-09-06 09:45:29

JonW719
Eggcornista

Re: Tell tell or tell-tell vs. tell-tale

Here are a couple of examples found on Google:

Tell Tell HeartIts original life came from Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Tell Tell Heart” ... Like the heart hidden below the floor it kept on beating. ...
www.tracyhicks.com/tell.htm – 9k – Cached – Similar pages

Tell Tell Signs that you are a Redneck!!! – TopixTell Tell Signs that you are a Redneck!!! Posted in the Top Stories in the Blogosphere Forum. COMMENTS. Showing posts 61 – 77 of 77 · « prev | next » ...
www.topix.com/forum/blogs/TM6SQI4FN2OKOPN8J/p4 – 63k – Cached – Similar pages

Your rehabilitationdirectory.info DirectoryIf so, what is the tell tell sign that they will not repeat the horrible act … (more). Is there really “Rehabilitations” for sexual predators and repeat …
rehabilitationdirectory.info/Results.aspx?page=answers&questionid=20070711080209AAhKnG3&query=Reh… – 40k – Cached – Similar pages

Comments on: I’m mad as hell and I’m not gonna take it anymoreAlso “Hitler’s Pope” takes a lot of his speeches out of context, the people’s reactions and the reaction of the government were a more tell-tell sign of the …
scottaaronson.com/blog/?feed=rss2&p=71 – 14k – Cached – Similar pages

Programming is too easy – Karl Seguin [MVP]It’s a tell-tell sign of a shop that doesn’t know HOW to look for people. Even if you are the right person, you’ll be working with, or replacing someone who …
codebetter.com/blogs/karlseguin/archive/2006/07/24/147628.aspx – 60k – Cached – Similar pages

Feeling quite combobulated.

#3 2007-09-07 08:59:58

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Tell tell or tell-tell vs. tell-tale

I just wanted to point out another variation—mentioned here in the forum—that was very amusing…

‘The Tall-Tale Heart’ for ‘The Tell-Tale Heart’ by klakritz Contribute! 1 2007-07-07 20:16:31 by patschwieterman

Board footer