Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-09-13 15:02:32

coolnigh

making ends meat

i always thought the phrase was “to make ends meat” and not “to make ends meet” because the end piece of meat (like in a roast) is the toughest and least desirable. Thus, if I wanted to express how poor I am, I would say I don’t have enough money, even to afford an end piece…I can’t even make ends meat.

#2 2007-09-13 15:22:26

JonW719
Eggcornista

Re: making ends meat

Apparently you’re not the only one! This seems to be a fairly common interpretation.

http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=1976

Also (and some of these are used as plays on words):
ProudMary: Making Ends MeatAnyhow, I always thought that the phrase “making ends meet” was “making ends meat”, meaning that one was making at least enough money to afford ends meat. ...
proudmary.typepad.com/proudmary/2005/11/making_ends_mea.html – 15k – Cached – Similar pages

BBC News | BUSINESS | Making ends meatWater buffalo are an alternative source of income for UK farmers, helping them out of the troubled times caused by recent health scares.
news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/business/1181911.stm – 14k – Cached – Similar pages

Making Ends Meat Out Of Diving – Scuba Diving Board Archive[Archive] Making Ends Meat Out Of Diving General Travel and Vacation Discussions.
www.scubaboard.com/archive/index.php/t-9.html – 10k – Cached – Similar pages

Open Rage: Making Ends MeatThat’s what I used to think was the correct meaning of the phrase “Making Ends Meet” I thought that Ends Meat was a way of saying that you have enough meat …
theopenrage.blogspot.com/2005/05/making-ends-meat.html – 17k – Cached – Similar pages

FT.com / Home UK / UK – Making ends meatThe latest UK and international business, finance, economic and political news, comment and analysis from the Financial Times on FT.com.
www.ft.com/cms/s/2e286e18-c92c-11db-9f7 … 10621.html – 69k – Cached – Similar pages

FT.com / Arts & weekend / Books – Making ends meatMaking ends meat. By Anna Fifield. Published: March 2 2007 16:08 | Last updated: March 2 2007 16:08. FAMINE IN NORTH KOREA: Markets, Aid, and Reform …
www.ft.com/cms/s/14c10276-c6f9-11db-807 … 10621.html – 68k – Cached – Similar pages

Last edited by JonW719 (2007-09-13 15:24:27)

Feeling quite combobulated.

#3 2007-09-21 05:03:44

AdamVero
Eggcornista
Website

anyone know what it is, the ends of which we are trying to make meet?
the imagery in my head is of a belt or similar going around something and meeting up, but I suspect the etymology may be “ends” as in “means to an end” ie a result.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will buy a ridiculous hat – Scott Adams (author of Dilbert)
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day; set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life – Terry Pratchett
http://blog.meteorit.co.uk

#4 2007-09-21 09:30:18

JonW719
Eggcornista

I wonder (and am simply speculating) if the imagery is of the end of one week or month meeting the next (i.e. living month-to-month but not really making it to the end of the month so there is a gap between the months).

Feeling quite combobulated.

Board footer