Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#126 2014-01-17 13:11:52

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: Things you read and understood but mispronounced in your mind

Just remembered another one of these from years ago, a sort of counterpart of the teatable paradise of post #95 of this topic. I pondered what particular scandalous behavior a malefactor was guilty of. It was a bit of a disappointment to realize that it was just generalized evil, and that there were no femalefactors.
(A quick google reveals that there are many references, especially in writing about infertility, to both male factors and the female factors, but they swamp examples of the sort I tried to look for.)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2014-01-17 13:23:36)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#127 2014-05-27 19:42:30

David Bird
Eggcornista

DT, that reminds me of those who think there might be a femalestrom.

I was pleased to find that another word I mispronounced in my mind, back when I loved reading pirate stories: ague. I thought it rhymed with vague. Like a vague ache. Come to think of it, even earlier, I didn’t have a solid lock on the pronunciation of vague, thinking it rhymed with bag. And so now I stumble whenever I have to pronounce it in French, where it does, vaguely. I think.

I only learned that ague doesn’t rhyme with vague in rereading that poem, that’s be circulating for years, about the quirks of English pronunciation.

#128 2014-05-27 23:19:35

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

That has an orthographical metathesis going on too. (All the hits on femaelstrom that I managed to look at were pretty clearly advertent.)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer