Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-11-26 16:08:20

verlaine

'Self-Defecating Smile' for 'Self-Deprecating Smile'

OK, I only came across this once in raw copy from a writer: “He had a self-defecating smile.” I couldn’t help thinking that “self-defecating smile” was some kind of funny reformation of “self-deprecating smile” and “shit-eating grin.” I’m sure it’s not widespread … but it was a good day when that came across my desk.

#2 2007-11-26 16:12:02

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: 'Self-Defecating Smile' for 'Self-Deprecating Smile'

This is something of a classic round these parts. See the Craig C. Clarke post here: http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=1799

#3 2007-11-26 19:19:45

Tom Neely
Eggcornista

Hee-Hee-Hee! Back in the Dark Ages, 1970s, my roommate Bruce Isaacs, from Kentucky, used the expression, “A Shit-Eatin’ Grin.” (Approximately equals “Self-Defecating Smile,” no?) Hilarious, yes, and also an exotic Southern-USA colloquialism to my Northern ears.

I never figured it out until a few years ago, when I adopted a full-blooded country Beagle, who sniffs out and eats poop from all species, whenever she is in the mood. Then she smiles up at me with a Shit-Eatin’ Grin.

#4 2007-11-27 15:13:22

verlaine

Ah! I am kind of shocked at its prevalence. Well! Now I know how to make sure I don’t start a new thread on an old topic …

Board footer