Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2006-01-26 19:11:57

tylerarnold

'tow the line' for 'toe the line'

I’ve shocked a room full of Brits into silence (during a discussion about the supremacy of British English) by asking them to spell this. Half spelled it one way and half the other, causing much confusion. Great fun.

#2 2006-01-27 17:44:42

klakritz
Eggcornista

Re: 'tow the line' for 'toe the line'

Already in the database.

#3 2013-10-12 23:41:06

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: 'tow the line' for 'toe the line'

Good story, tylerarnold!

Here’s a conversation I stumbled upon online today. One guy “corrects” another thusly:

It’s not “towed” the line. It’s not a rope. The phrase is “toed” the line, as in, someone drew a line in the sand and you are sticking your toe across the line, challenging them.

And another guy responds with a real correction:

Close. Toeing the line means you keep your ties [sic] right at the line without crossing it, thus you are specifically obeying all of the rules and not challenging authority.

It’s nice when we encounter people explaining their understood meanings rather than our having to surmise about them to figure out whether something is an eggcorn or not.

Board footer