Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-07-02 13:29:55

Whitey741

in tell for entail

Saw this and instantly thought “this is an eggcorn”. So here it is. Spotted in the wild
http://boards.ktrh.com/mbthread.aspx?pg … GroupID=55
Have a great day!

#2 2008-07-02 14:31:49

JonW719
Eggcornista

Re: in tell for entail

Here is that quote:

Jesus is the only path, I am simply saying that the common thought on what all that “way” in tells, may not be correct.

“In tells” is a hard word to search for, as is “intells.” Both are used somewhat commonly to describe companies or poker tells. (Occasionlly it is a misspelling of “intel’ both as the abbreviation of intelligence and as the name of the chip maker Intel.) However, I did find this example where it stands in for “entails”:

Dark Star Bar | Gaia OnlineMar 31, 2007 … “umm no i am alright umm can i have a quick once over so i know what my job intells” he smiles. “yea ok” she smiles back …
www.gaiaonline.com/forum/gaia-commerce/ … .25269741/ – 96k – Cached – Similar pages

I’m not sure about the eggcornicity of this word. A lot of people seem to confuse “ell” and “ale” or “ail” sounds. For more examples of this phenomenon, see two of my posts that explore this: http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=2058 (tell-tell vs. telltale) and http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=2484 (for sell vs. for sale).

Taking it a step farther, I googled to find out if “entells” would also be pretty common. It is:

Myspace.com Blogs – Not my typical blog…. – Bob 33 MySpace BlogNot to mention making an album and all the work that entells. That alone should cause pause. So with that being said…....I think I made my point. ...
blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=3426488&blogID=314430833 – 35k – Cached – Similar pages

YouTube – Water As Fuel Video ®May 23, 2008 … global warming isnt just some scientists’ theory, it is an actual trend of just what the name entells ‘global warming,’ the world is …
www.youtube.com/watch?v=f34EK0NMXnc – 103k – Cached – Similar pages

Reviews for Billiam the Bard’s Adventures: part one – FictionPress.comRhapsode 2008-06-29 ch 1,, abuseA sophisticated look at barding, and all it entells. Quite so! Return to Top.
www.fictionpress.com/r/2538443/ – Similar pages

rocker_chick10280’s Xanga SiteGuitars and drums and all that that entells. BAD boys. JROTC and bein a raider. Which we have that best damn raider team in the region. ...
www.xanga.com/Rocker_Chick10280 – 77k – Cached – Similar pages

After I saw your example and the intell/entell variations, I wondered if “detells” for details might be rampant on the Web, and it seems to be very common:

deleting a line from file [Archive] – DevX.com ForumsCan someone show me how i can delete one line from a file….i’m just a beginner > so could you write the program for me in detells….I apprciate it a …
forums.devx.com/archive/index.php/t-90149.html – 4k – Cached – Similar pages

PII: S0968-0004(00)89028-3For detells on how to partake In the newsgroup, see the accompanying box. Electrtransformation. is perhaps the. best method for introducing recombi- ...
linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0968000400890283 – Similar pages

WikiAnswers – How do you get a computerMe crash169 could of missed stuff that you need to buy or imported detells on stuff to do and cannot be held responsible if the computer does not work. ...
wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_get_a_computer – 42k – Cached – Similar pages

[PDF] Buford D, Battle State nutitw hm?Aa, TexasFile Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat – View as HTML
your seoond question we would apgr8elate your furalshlng us. rdth. detells. coneern& the sppllcatlon OS the Whltehouaa Dl@trlat*. Your8 very …
www.oag.state.tx.us/opinions/opinions/3 … gm3549.pdf – Similar pages

[PDF] rii-iiii:: ff{;*nns:rFile Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat – View as HTML
+39s,OOO. Portsmouth,. NH 03801. Beds:2. Eaths:2. Sq.Ft.: 1147. l’‘1LS +136294. UTTICE. See llsting Detells. I_i. Emarl. UTTICE. See Listing Details …
www.suburbanre.com/files_custom/5997_1130.pdf – Similar pages

1970 Dodge Charger CarIT GIVES SO MUCH DETELLS.GREAT JOB! – Posted By: justin on August 26, 2005. I LOVE WHEN A PART OF THE ENGINE IS STIKING OUT OF THE HOOD!GREAT WORK,ABE. ...
chevroncarsblog.com/archives/2005/08/1970-dodge-charger.html – 42k – Cached – Similar pages

MySpace.com – LeXY_Fam0UsZ! – 16 – Female – LAS VEGAS, Nevada …My reAl dAd aND AsHaNt1 SO HERS THE DETELLS THARS THIS RELLY HOT BOY NAMED DEAN I WHENT OUT WITH HIM ON AND OFF FOR LIKE 1 YEAR AND I RELLY LIKE HIM BUT …
profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=173079201 – 96k – Cached – Similar pages

health | wellbeing classifieds Ads, Jobs, for sale, Real Estate …- [ Translate this page ]CALL FOR MORE DETELLS 412-726-1210 i’m in portsmouth VA one of the best stylist in VA SEE PIC at WWW.MYSPACE.COM/LADYD412 EMAIL: devonaprather2@Y.. ...
norfolk.suprapost.com/index.cfm?dsp=site.ads.glist&gid2=15282 – 46k – Cached – Similar pages

~ Mixturey ~ « Club Penguin Secrets and Lot’s More!I’m Working on a Better Sign For Its So Its More Easy Then The Old one to see the Detells! Anyway… Note: I Made A New One (See Below) ...
kurbykudly8.wordpress.com/author/mixturey101/ – 38k – Cached – Similar pages

bathroomswe have photos of paint work and bathrooms. call for free estaments. prices and detells in writing before work begins. please plan ahead …
hintonhomeimprovement.com/paintwork.aspx – 18k – Cached – Similar pages

Brickset: LEGO set reference | Reviews posted by alancarabescool detells cons. not many weapons needs 1 more mini fig more playability more wall structure. 3 out of 7 people thought this review was useful. ...
www.brickset.com/reviews/default.aspx?P … lancarabes – 17k – Cached – Similar pages

Re: Looking for 3d Work!!!! – Open 3D Forum… posted by Rick on February 21, 2002 at 23:51:07:. I was wondering if u could give me some advice about Animation wed desingning just some detells.Thanxs …
www.designcommunity.com/messages/10760.html – 10k – Cached – Similar pages

Discussion:Find Help For a Suspected Eating Disorder – wikiHowi dont have an eating disorder…but i’m studing it for a school project…and i need help on the detells i’m not so good at fineding things so if you might …
www.wikihow.com/Discussion:Find-Help-Fo … g-Disorder – 20k – Cached – Similar pages

As if that were not enough, I found some instances of “retell” for retail:

PARIS DRESSMAKERS URGE OUR BUYERS TO CROSS OCEAN; They Have …But there is .fir: going.tw be a severe struggle .between classes of comme-—in ‘the making of clothes; the huge department ahoy and small retell shop that …
query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F10A12F8385F157A93C7A8178CD85F438185F9 – 12k – Cached – Similar pages

Goodsres.comI am a sales in a retell store in Maryland. I interest in any electronic products. Throught the demo u provide, I think I can have more information about …
www.goodsres.com/company/list.php?intl=&pid=0736 – 46k – Cached – Similar pages

Ebay = No more PS3’s – Page 4 – Mac ForumsIf you do have a problem with it than never go to a retell store again…cause thats what they do simply at a larger volume. ...
forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=242589&page=4 – 160k – Cached – Similar pages

So the “ell” for “ail” confusion is pretty rampant, certainly in spelling, and more than likely in pronunciation.

I am trying to figure out what “in tells” (or intells or entells) means to the user (if there is a new imagery that comes about) and am not having much luck. I suspect that it’s just a misspelling based on regional pronunciation.

IF there is an eggcorn here (or in detells or tell-tells), it is that the user somehow believes that the “tells” part means that it “tells” what the subject at hand is all about.

Last edited by JonW719 (2008-07-02 15:40:38)

Feeling quite combobulated.

Board footer