Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-08-02 06:11:47

Smuts

"Hand gliding" for hang gliding

“Hand gliding” gets 71,300 Google hits. Here are some examples:

Below there are also some informative books on hand gliding.

Visitors flock to Mount Magazine and Mount Nebo State Park where hand gliding is a popular pasttime.

(There’s also something mildly eggcorny about the extra t in pasttime.)

Hand gliding and paragliding are two of the most exhilarating and exciting of adventure sports.

I suppose it’s because you grip the control bar with your hands? Pilots also tend to be cocooned in a harness when they’re up in the air, leaving only their arms and head sticking out, and putting emphasis on use of the hands. Or maybe I’m reading too much into it!...

#2 2009-08-02 17:24:36

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: "Hand gliding" for hang gliding

Welcome back to the forum, Smuts. This has been contributed a few times now—the first post was apparently the one by Streapadair back in 2006: http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=299

In that thread, s/he also mentions “handburger,” which turns out to be surprisingly common.

#3 2009-08-03 07:59:15

Smuts

Thanks Pat, at this rate my next suggestion will be in 2011. It did cross my mind that this could have been suggested before, but a search for “hang gliding”, “hand gliding” “hanggliding” and plain old “gliding” in the forums didn’t come up with any results. Maybe I’m doing it wrong?

Why yes, a “handburger,” as opposed to a burger eaten with a knife and fork.

#4 2009-08-03 13:52:38

patschwieterman
Administrator

Well, we’re glad to have you back, and we’re already looking forward to that 2011 post.

You’re probably doing your search correctly—Streapadair’s post was for “hand glider” and yours was for “hand gliding.” I responded to the earlier post way back when, so I knew it was there somewhere—otherwise I might have had trouble locating, too.

Last edited by patschwieterman (2009-08-04 13:56:35)

#5 2009-08-04 11:14:41

fpberger
Eggcornista

If you’ve shaped a burger by hand, I think the hand-burger makes sense.
I believe I thought it was “hand-gliding” for many years when I was a kid.

Board footer