Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2010-02-25 11:44:33

StanCarey
Website

"intern" for "inter"

Hello everyone. Occasional visitor, first-time commenter!

Today I saw what might be a new example — at least, it’s new to me, it seems like an eggcorn, and I don’t see it in the database. The UK Telegraph, reporting on Dick Francis’s funeral, says that “He was interned [sic] next to his wife on Grand Cayman.”

Maybe this is a straightforward typo, but Francis’s remains are undoubtedly being detained, though not against his will. There is also a sense in which the author’s body was made internal to the earth.

(The OED mentions an early-17C-only usage of intern to mean “become incorporated or united with another being”.)

#2 2010-02-26 01:44:13

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: "intern" for "inter"

Welcome to the forum, Stan. I believe that interned for interred is a valid eggcorn. Following the logic you’ve presented, I looked for another way of seeing the burial, as an inturnment. That would make a connection to being turned into the earth, the turning of sod, the worm turning and maybe even turning in your grave. This first example is even stranger – looks like he/she’s suggesting that the body is to be moved after inturnment.

Driving with a stiff
You will need death certificate, ouptopsy papers if there was one and letter from where the body was inturned and where it is to be delivered.

Dr. Liverpool, I presume.....
he died in London in 1904 and his body was inturned in Pilbright/Surry’s cemetary.

Last edited by David Bird (2010-02-27 17:36:15)

#3 2010-02-26 23:43:33

yanogator
Eggcornista

I thought only cremated remains were inturned. : )

Bruce

#4 2010-02-27 14:59:55

StanCarey
Website

Thank you for the welcome, David. I’m glad to hear that you consider it a valid eggcorn, though I don’t see what it has to do with dying “interstate” — apart from the partially overlapping theme.

That’ll be my newbie status, I suppose.

Board footer