Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-03-21 01:16:20

David Bird
Eggcornista

"flabitis" for phlebitis

Phlebitis is an inflammation of a vein, from Gk. phleps (gen. phlebos) “vein”. Flabitis is a more general condition where the inflammation has spread to the surrounding flab.

Fertility blog
The word PHLEBOTOMY in the first paragraph took me right back to a very embarrassing week I had at work…..I had a wisdom tooth removed by an oral surgeon. The put the knock-out medicine in through my hand instead of my arm. I developed a horrible case of phlebitis (vein inflammation). Called my (blonde) boss while filling my prescription to tell her I wouldn’t be back to work for a week. She sent an e-mail to all my co-workers telling them I had FLABITIS!!!! Flab-Itis.
As an amply-rounded girl, I was appropriately horrified. Shudder.

Health forum
I saw my family Dr. the next day and she said it was flabitis.

Health forum
I got Flabitis. It’s painful but can be contracted by just getting a blood test.

Board footer