Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-04-22 17:27:55

David Bird
Eggcornista

"faults claims" for false claims

Seen on a news comments forum today. The misinterpretation of “false” as “faults”, though awkward, is sufficiently eggcornish, I think, to submit to the forum. There are several dozen of these on the web. It falls somewhere between a mondegreen and an eggcorn. The sense is “faulty claims”.

Climate change lawsuit
I didn’t see you standing up and shoot down the so called hockey stick and call it bogus or have we seen you stand up and denounce faults claims made by the IPCC

Other instances of false >> faults might make more sense. Take this example, where “faults teeth” might be taken as “teeth to replace faults”.

Christmas fund
He has also had some gum disease and has not been able to get faults teeth.

Or this, again to make up for defaults.

Letters from the fifties
She has always kidded me about sticking out so much and asked if I had faultsies.

Last edited by David Bird (2010-04-22 17:36:47)

#2 2010-05-08 13:37:52

yanogator
Eggcornista

Re: "faults claims" for false claims

In the South, it is very common for the “ls” combination to add a “t” in the middle. Examples are “faltse”, “saltsa” and “eltse”. If these people are used to hearing and saying “faltse”, they could easily spell if “faults”, so it could be a misspelling rather than an eggcorn.

Bruce

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

Board footer