Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-05-18 22:12:42

klakritz
Eggcornista

'wind turban' for 'wind turbine'

This is an amazingly common substitution, although whether it has a semantic basis is pretty dubious. Regardless, I think it’s funny! Examples:

Legal Notices for the Week of April 12, 2006
A representative from Plain States Energy met with the County Board to give an overview of a wind Turbans project in the northern part of Todd County.
www.inhnews.com/year06/apr/apr12/legal.html

I have a couple of simple wind-driven roof turbans on my house. . .The kind that just circulate the air in the roof area.
groups.google.de/group/SolarNRG?lnk=gschg&hl=de

MINUTES CITY COUNCIL MEETING – COLUMBIA, MISSOURI APRIL 17, 2006
...He explained wind turbans could be put on-line quickly and as one needed them. Huge up-front investments were not necessary.
www.gocolumbiamo.com/Council/Minutes/do … _apr17.pdf

For example, if your area receives an abnormal amount of wind (think inland southern California), then you should build wind turbans.
uashome.alaska.edu/~jscll7/physics%20energy.doc

Information Security Magazine
... and some are going so far as to install solar cells and wind turbans to become energy independent. ...
infosecuritymag.techtarget.com/articles/july01/departments_news.shtml – 79k –

Earth Rights Economic Policy Vision Statements
Like putting up a wind turban, there are up front costs of raising people out of poverty, but the life-cycle costs are far lower.
www.earthrights.net/vision.html – 34k – Cached – Similar pages

Everybody remember the Audubon Society calling wind turbans “Condor Cuisinarts”? I bout bust a gut first time I heard that.
www.reason.com/hitandrun/2003/12/green_energy_ki

#2 2006-05-19 14:04:45

fborger

Re: 'wind turban' for 'wind turbine'

This evokes the thought of an Indian wearing one of those rotating vents you see on roof ridges. Hey, great way to keep a cool head.

#3 2006-05-21 17:52:38

Chris Waigl
Eggcorn Faerie
Website

Re: 'wind turban' for 'wind turbine'

Entered (with its cousins gas/steam/water turban).

Board footer