Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2006-05-19 03:12:42

klakritz
Eggcornista

'wind turban' for 'wind turbine'

This is an amazingly common substitution, although whether it has a semantic basis is pretty dubious. Regardless, I think it’s funny! Examples:

Legal Notices for the Week of April 12, 2006
A representative from Plain States Energy met with the County Board to give an overview of a wind Turbans project in the northern part of Todd County.
www.inhnews.com/year06/apr/apr12/legal.html

I have a couple of simple wind-driven roof turbans on my house. . .The kind that just circulate the air in the roof area.
groups.google.de/group/SolarNRG?lnk=gschg&hl=de

MINUTES CITY COUNCIL MEETING – COLUMBIA, MISSOURI APRIL 17, 2006
...He explained wind turbans could be put on-line quickly and as one needed them. Huge up-front investments were not necessary.
www.gocolumbiamo.com/Council/Minutes/do … _apr17.pdf

For example, if your area receives an abnormal amount of wind (think inland southern California), then you should build wind turbans.
uashome.alaska.edu/~jscll7/physics%20energy.doc

Information Security Magazine
... and some are going so far as to install solar cells and wind turbans to become energy independent. ...
infosecuritymag.techtarget.com/articles/july01/departments_news.shtml – 79k –

Earth Rights Economic Policy Vision Statements
Like putting up a wind turban, there are up front costs of raising people out of poverty, but the life-cycle costs are far lower.
www.earthrights.net/vision.html – 34k – Cached – Similar pages

Everybody remember the Audubon Society calling wind turbans “Condor Cuisinarts”? I bout bust a gut first time I heard that.
www.reason.com/hitandrun/2003/12/green_energy_ki

#2 2006-05-19 19:04:45

fborger

Re: 'wind turban' for 'wind turbine'

This evokes the thought of an Indian wearing one of those rotating vents you see on roof ridges. Hey, great way to keep a cool head.

#3 2006-05-21 22:52:38

Chris Waigl
Eggcorn Faerie
Website

Re: 'wind turban' for 'wind turbine'

Entered (with its cousins gas/steam/water turban).

Board footer