Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-07-12 12:41:31

Teppod

"Anti-dope" for antidote

I’ve found three examples of substituting “anti-dope” for antidote so far:

<a href=”http://www.hartzvictims.org/”> HartzVictims.org</a>: “We asked hartz if there was an anti-dope.”

<a href=”http://hubpages.com/hub/Stressed-and-Fatigued-At-Work-Seven-Essential-Tips-To-Improve-Your-Health-And-Manage-The-Symptoms-Of-Stress-At-Work”>Hubpages.com</a> (in a blog about stress): “Yoga is their anti-dope to cope with the effects of constant meetings.”

<a href=”http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:17mrB5oglBAJ:www.foru2consider.com/Ur_Spiritual_Self_Sin.pdf+antidope&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShYLzGi98zAylRc_jXo6A00D0IEgSRyeWUi78DoXweaMVd5gRUlktau3QimTSX_DCxeXqytn7BHKd4dPRGzlj_87yYADD-MdkAkKlEEcDzSLuRY_Uwz1tcrixOkV8ErATZmxjve&sig=AHIEtbQjjD0JZM4AGZXQr_U8gnwFaMqDnw”>Google Docs</a> (an openly shared document): “So, what is the anti-dope: Obedience and Repentance.”

I know I’ve heard this in spoken English before. Please let me know if you find any more examples.

#2 2010-07-12 12:51:27

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: "Anti-dope" for antidote

Welcome to the forum, Teppod. This is a great find—the substitution “anti-dope” works very well in context, and it’s easy to find further examples online. Some may be puns, but I’m sure many aren’t. Excellent!

#3 2010-07-12 16:36:58

David Bird
Eggcornista

Dope eggcorn, Teppod (I’m not from the right decade to use that expression admittedly).

Your entry inspired a search for another, closely related, take: antidose, which I think is also quite nice.

Cartoon synopsis
They handovered Hoss as a sasquatch and Mandy got her cash prize, and Grim gave Billy the antidose, turning him back into normal.

Handovered Hoss for “handed Hoss over” was cute, too.

#4 2010-07-12 19:16:00

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

fwiw, and unless I’m mistaken, dose and – dote are both from the Greek root meaning ‘give’. For some (not for me) that might preclude eggcornhood. Dope rather came from a Dutch word and originally meant ‘gravy’.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#5 2010-07-12 20:53:17

David Bird
Eggcornista

UFO casebook
A car drives between them and the object showing how low and close the object is. Could this be evidence of hybrid antigravy/conventional flight characteristics? The intial story told to me by witnesses suggests pure antigravy.

#6 2010-07-13 02:52:43

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Antigravy! Icing on the gravy!

Oh, and btw,

he overdoped on cocaine

Probably overdoped on E and steroids.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#7 2010-07-13 11:51:53

klakritz
Eggcornista

This thread seems to have endless potential. And if you like ‘overdope,’ how about this one (it looks like a typo, but gets over 1,000 citations, and there is a connection between ‘overdoing’ and ‘overdosing)-

After the argument while Joan was in her room, Joan’s mother took an overdoes of sleeping pills and was subsequently hospitalized …
books.google.com/books?isbn=0915202743…

In late May, 1973, William Inge took an overdoes of drugs and was admitted to UCLA Medical Center for psychiatric observation, but was returned home.
www.tactnyc.org/salon_show.php?id=81&sid=15

My youngest is four and I nearly lost her 6 weeks ago when things got to an all time low and with a bottle of vodka I took an overdoes of prozac, ...
www.brighteyecounselling.co.uk/.../has- … onfidence/

I took an overdoes last weekend and I thought I was going to die but I didn’t and I don’t know if I should take another one…
ehealthforum.com/health/topic64337.html

Well, one day, while I was a work, she took an overdoes of aspirin.
www.huffingtonpost.com/.../are-you-depr … 07734.html

... 3rd time i took an overdoes of seroquel, I had to be taken to the hospital, where i spent the rest of the week in child’s ward. ...
uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid…

#8 2010-07-13 12:15:01

David Bird
Eggcornista

I don’t want to be the one who overdoes it, but there’s the brief doze, then there’s the long doze.

Star tribute site
the horrifying news came that Marilyn had died, apparently of an overdoze of sleeping pills.

Ten legit hits for “overdoze of sleeping pills”, many from India.

#9 2010-07-13 15:04:34

fpberger
Eggcornista

Looking through a few “overdoze” hits, I found the following:

Writing in the Times Sophie Tedmanson says that Tiger Woods may have been taking “subscription drugs”.
http://topics.treehugger.com/article/07PK7hFeAe8iO

Keep in mind that alcohol and subscription drugs count too
http://www.nbadimensions.net/forums/int … drugs.html

The people who fall for these products think they are saving money and their health by not buying subscription drugs, but in fact, they are spending more money and at the same time throwing their money away.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/05/ … 0270.shtml

I’m guessing these are just mistaken substitutions, unless the user is thinking of the refill process as being like a subscription…

Board footer