Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-07-20 10:11:37

kem
Eggcornista

acidic << Hasidic

We have amassed a small but fascinating collection of religious eggcorns. Our coverage ranges over Hinduism (karma sutra), Confucianism (Confusionism), Judaism (Halftorah), Catholicism (Rosemary beads, Sistercian order), Wicca, (convent of witches) and Islam (Muslin).

Perhaps we can add “acidic Jews” for “Hasidic Jews” to the list. Problem is, almost all web citations for “acidic Jews” are slurs or deliberate puns. Here’s one that may not be:

Romanian youth bulletin board: “look the acidic jews... what a ppl of stand-firm ideology.”

We have a number of sites on which people report that they or someone they knew/overheard confused “Hasidic Jews” and “acidic Jews.” Five such sites:

On a site collecting odd things said by parens: “Me: I live in a Jewish neighborhood now. Mother: Oh? Do you see acidic Jews walking around?”

Site reporting overheard conversations: “Hey, look at all those Amish people! Oh, wait, are they Amish or acidic Jews ?”

NY/NJ Chat room: “when i was little and i heard the term ‘hacidic jews’ i thought they were saying ’ acidic jews ’ so i assumed they were just angry and bitter about something or other”

Photography bulletin board: “When I was younger I thought that it was ‘ Acidic ‘ jews. ”

Skateboarding forum: “once i saw hasidic jews at like a mall and i asked my mom who they were were and i thought she said ‘ acidic jews ‘ and was really scared of hasidic jews for like 4 months”

We also have several hundred web sites using the spelling “Hacidic Jews.” This error is possibly but unprovably primed by the semantics and sound of “acid.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2010-07-20 12:21:06

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: acidic << Hasidic

That one is a tart addition to the pantheon. For North Americans, there is another likely confusion: the Hadassic Jews. Hadassah is an American Jewish volunteer women’s organization. Among other works, it organizes the Hadassah Bazaar to raise money (“education for the young, and medication for the old,” a member once told me).

Holyland vacation shots
Bill’s picture of Hadassic Jews at the Wailing Wall.

#3 2010-07-20 12:41:45

klakritz
Eggcornista

According to Google search, about 2,000 individuals have made the pilgrimage to Jerusalem to visit The Whaling Wall.

#4 2010-07-20 14:41:16

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

David Bird wrote:

Hadassah is an American Jewish volunteer women’s organization. Among other works, it organizes the Hadassah Bazaar to raise money (“education for the young, and medication for the old,” a member once told me).

Undoubtedly named for Queen Esther, whose Hebrew (or Aramaic?) name was Hadassah. “Esther”, an Indo-European (Persian) name, is cognate with star , I believe.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer