Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-07-25 18:29:54

David Bird
Eggcornista

"ShadowFreud", "shade in Freud", and "Shady Freud" for schadenfreude

The delicious word schadenfreude is a German portmanteau of Schaden, for “adversity, harm”, and Freude, for “joy”. It is the delight one feels at someone else’s misfortune. Schaden is a cognate of “scathe”. The final e of Freude is pronounced as a schwa in German, but usually is silent in English. One might be forgiven for finding Dr. Freud in this description of secret emotions and hiding animosities. All of these are necessarily double-barrelled eggcorns. I don’t think they are intentional wordplay, though their rarity makes them somewhat tenuous.

Radio forum
That shadowFreud thing where you feel good when other people have shitty stuff happen to them. Not that I want to eliminate that delicious feeling, just want to give the word a rest.

Home defence forum
is it more against the shade in freud of expecting the next person to climb your new fence to get cut up.

Blog
We really shouldn’t take pleasure in others’ misfortunes, Shady Freud and all that, but we can make exceptions.

Blog comment
I love it when Libertarians are forced, or perhaps, choose to invoke Marxist analysis. Serious shady-Freud.

The connection has been seen before as Schadenfreudean. See also klakritz’s Schadenfraud.

Board footer