Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-08-14 07:57:37

David Bird
Eggcornista

mode » mood

Chiefly in full panic mood.

Now are come the dog days, when seas boil, wine turns sour, dogs grow mad, all creatures (except fruit flies by all evidence) become languid, and we burn with fevers, hysterics, and phrensies, and there is shouting in the metro*. But not to panic. And especially not to go to full pantic mode. We are not machines, we have moods, not modes. Substitution of “mood” for “mode” is an interesting way to bend a mental strategy into a emotional frame of mind. I think the imagery change is conceivable when dealing with emotional situations, but less so for “mood of production” and “mood of transportation”, both of which get a respectable number of hits.

Study abroad misgivings
I am in full panic mood. I was in Target with my mom the other day and I started to freak out.

30 to 40 ughits for full panic mood

Personal profile
im the kind of person who when i meet people in person for the first time i am automatically on defence mood…no clue why

Dog forum
I think your girl feels insecure offleash and goes into defence mood eg growling.

*Edit: And prose overheats.

Last edited by David Bird (2010-08-14 09:01:25)

Board footer