Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-09-23 09:33:40

patbateman

Reservoir

reservewater for reservoir

#2 2010-09-23 12:07:17

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: Reservoir

Welcome to the forum, Pat. Have you seen or heard this beast in the wild? I tried to find instances on the web without success. Reservewater is apparently a legitimate word in Dutch for “spare water”.

I have seen an eggcorn based on reservoir, which is the first instance of which I’m familiar of a reshaping that is an eggcorn in two languages. A restervoir in English would be a place where water or gasoline temporarily rests, (or where the rest of the water is?). It is not common in English and could easily be a slip rather than an eggcorn. In French, it is a better eggcorn because it double-yolked there. Restervoir would mean “stay to see” or “remain to see”.

French:

Motorbike fanciers
je compte aussiacheter un bouchon de restervoir a clef car nimporte qui peux me voler mon essence

English:

Flame weeder
the fuller the restervoir the easier it is to get a really big flame

#3 2010-09-24 10:52:31

kem
Eggcornista

Re: Reservoir

“Restervoir” is good. In French and English. I think that’s our first hybrid poteau rose / eggcorn.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer