Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-10-20 22:09:56

David Bird
Eggcornista

"arrow bars" for "error bars"

If “aerobars” for bicycles can become arrow bars in the imagination, then arrows might be a natural confusion for error bars, those whiskers around a bar graph that point out its probable range of values. Of course they can.

Thread: Arrow bars on graph, first person account
You know the arrow bars showing standard error on graph paper (for coursework), what exactly do you have to say about them in the anaylsis? I mean I know that a shorter arrow bar means that the result is more reliable compared to a longer arrow bar. But is there anything else you have to mention?
Later: Rofl. Just realised I said it wrong. :o Yeh I meant error bars. Gosh. My teacher has an accent so all that time I thought she was saying ‘arrow’ rather than ‘error’ :sheepish grin:

Physics forum
The above arrow bars are centred on the line. We could instead centre the arrow bars on the data and will come to the same conclusion.

Answer forum
how to make an arrow bar on ms excel ?
Hi, do you guys here know how to make an arrow bar on ms excel? Please fill me in. Thanks in advance !

#2 2010-10-26 19:28:20

fpberger
Eggcornista

Re: "arrow bars" for "error bars"

I tried looking for this after the arrow dynamic thread as well, but aside from that first one where the writer catches his error, I wasn’t sure that they didn’t actually mean “arrow bars” as in bars with arrows on them. I often found plots that actually had arrows on the bars.

#3 2010-10-26 20:07:34

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: "arrow bars" for "error bars"

You’re right, fp, there are a lot more true “arrow bars” out there than I would have thought. The second hit does provides the graph, which has error bars and not arrowed bars, but the figure heading also starts out describing them as error bars and then switches to arrows at the end. WTFT? Or maybe incomplete correction? The eggcorn of “arrow bars” for those vaguely arrow-shaped handlebars of competition bicycles is by far the more common substitution.

Board footer