Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-06-12 08:58:23

ntrueblood

"palatable" for "palpable"

Richard Viguerie, in a June 9 interview on NPR, said that he had never seen “anger so deep and palatable” among conservatives who are disappointed in President Bush’s performance.

#2 2011-09-29 21:06:42

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "palatable" for "palpable"

This morning my wife pointed out to me an example of this slip from a book she is reading – the author had used “palatable” in a context that required “palpable.”

this is an extremely common switch. A search for palatable sense yields hundreds, even thousands, of hits, almost all of which are substitutions for “palpable sense.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2013-02-26 05:40:40

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: "palatable" for "palpable"

Yeah, I recently heard this on an episode of “Chopped Champions”: “His stress is palatable in the room.” (Not sure I remembered the wording exactly accurately, but he did say “palatable” for “palpable”.) I think that’s the first time I’ve encountered that one.

But how about the other direction: “palpable” for “palatable”? Googling “palpable dish” yielded about a dozen unique hits, such as:

There was not one palpable dish along the entire trough line.

Despite trying almost everything on the buffet, i couldnt find a single palpable dish.

Then he went for the woman’s collum in the Journal, to see if he couldent use up some left ovars, making a dainty and palpable dish.

Board footer