Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2006-06-12 13:58:23

ntrueblood

"palatable" for "palpable"

Richard Viguerie, in a June 9 interview on NPR, said that he had never seen “anger so deep and palatable” among conservatives who are disappointed in President Bush’s performance.

#2 2011-09-30 02:06:42

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "palatable" for "palpable"

This morning my wife pointed out to me an example of this slip from a book she is reading – the author had used “palatable” in a context that required “palpable.”

this is an extremely common switch. A search for palatable sense yields hundreds, even thousands, of hits, almost all of which are substitutions for “palpable sense.”

#3 2013-02-26 11:40:40

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: "palatable" for "palpable"

Yeah, I recently heard this on an episode of “Chopped Champions”: “His stress is palatable in the room.” (Not sure I remembered the wording exactly accurately, but he did say “palatable” for “palpable”.) I think that’s the first time I’ve encountered that one.

But how about the other direction: “palpable” for “palatable”? Googling “palpable dish” yielded about a dozen unique hits, such as:

There was not one palpable dish along the entire trough line.

Despite trying almost everything on the buffet, i couldnt find a single palpable dish.

Then he went for the woman’s collum in the Journal, to see if he couldent use up some left ovars, making a dainty and palpable dish.

Board footer