Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-03-06 12:57:48

Fuchsia 'tude

cache 22 << Catch 22

Besides obvious wordplay involving internet caching and even the title of an article about military weaponry, this one seems to have a reasonable chance of being authentic—people often speak of being stuck in a Catch 22, and a cache is a physical container of some sort that keeps something hidden inside. I wonder how many of these people may not have heard “cache” pronounced, and assumed it was homophonous with “catch”.

I also can’t figure out why they existed in harmony before uninstallation but am now caught in this Cache-22.
A tech support request on a discussion board

But in many locales they do not “count” the absentee or write-ins unless the outcome could possibly be affected. So, you’re sorta caught in a cache-22.
Political discussion

What that means is that you are caught in a cache .22 until you go through the process which takes between 1.5 to 3.5 years to accomplish. Good luck surviving in the meantime.
Political discussion

Looks like you’re stuck in a cache 22 with the rest of them-If you watch the video again, the you just watched a half naked hermaphrodite… twice.
Video comment

Because the bus owners/drivers could not get their permits from a centralized ministry ( for whatever reasons ), just by going in and paying a fee, they were in a Cache 22 situation.
Political editorial

#2 2011-12-31 12:18:26

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: cache 22 << Catch 22

The year end gives me a chance to return to this interesting switch of imagery. If one hadn’t read the book or seen the movie, one wouldn’t know how to interpret the catch. I think you’re right, Fuschiatude, a cache does sounds like a place where you can get stuck. “Cache .22” caught my eye, a definite reference to .22 calibre, maybe as a small arms cache.

Board footer