Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2011-03-06 18:57:48

Fuchsia 'tude

cache 22 << Catch 22

Besides obvious wordplay involving internet caching and even the title of an article about military weaponry, this one seems to have a reasonable chance of being authentic—people often speak of being stuck in a Catch 22, and a cache is a physical container of some sort that keeps something hidden inside. I wonder how many of these people may not have heard “cache” pronounced, and assumed it was homophonous with “catch”.

I also can’t figure out why they existed in harmony before uninstallation but am now caught in this Cache-22.
A tech support request on a discussion board

But in many locales they do not “count” the absentee or write-ins unless the outcome could possibly be affected. So, you’re sorta caught in a cache-22.
Political discussion

What that means is that you are caught in a cache .22 until you go through the process which takes between 1.5 to 3.5 years to accomplish. Good luck surviving in the meantime.
Political discussion

Looks like you’re stuck in a cache 22 with the rest of them-If you watch the video again, the you just watched a half naked hermaphrodite… twice.
Video comment

Because the bus owners/drivers could not get their permits from a centralized ministry ( for whatever reasons ), just by going in and paying a fee, they were in a Cache 22 situation.
Political editorial

#2 2011-12-31 18:18:26

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: cache 22 << Catch 22

The year end gives me a chance to return to this interesting switch of imagery. If one hadn’t read the book or seen the movie, one wouldn’t know how to interpret the catch. I think you’re right, Fuschiatude, a cache does sounds like a place where you can get stuck. “Cache .22” caught my eye, a definite reference to .22 calibre, maybe as a small arms cache.

Board footer