Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-08-14 18:19:53

burred
Eggcornista

"Gun holes" for gunnels

Well I am stuffed to the gunholes. I love Sunday dinner nom nom.
Blog

the flight was packed to the gunholes, suits left, right and centre.
British Airways Executive Club flyer talk

Make it costly enough and they won’t come over laden to the gunholes with cheap diesel and work our roads.
Keep those foreign lorries out of Britain

We then promptly jumped back on the bus to our resort before the last service at 6pm which would have been packed to the gunholes with smelly locals.
+An Ugly Englishman in Fiji

I was awe struck the first time I saw an LBS 76 wagon and drag of Wyatts pull in B+W motors Derry st. W-ton, loaded to the gun holes I never saw Scania springs bent the opposite way! What a cracking machine it was !
UK Truck Net

The car is packed to the gunwheels, and I packed light, honest.
Road trip

The English idiom is “packed to the gunnels”. As in gunwales. I couldn’t get a consistent answer from the web, but apparently a gunwale was originally a platform that held the cannons on a ship. It then came to mean the place where the hull met the deck, so that stuffed to the gunnels she were replete indeed.

If you be stuffed to the gunholes, then, equally clearly, any more intake will lead to leakage.

#2 2011-08-14 19:25:22

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: "Gun holes" for gunnels

Beautiful. This reminds me of portal>><<porthole: http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=2362

Board footer