Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-09-21 12:00:27

kem
Eggcornista

condom << condone

“Condom” for “condone?” I could make up some reason why such a switch could make some sense (They both overlap with the semantics of “sanitize,” for example.). It is probably the work of a malapropic demon, though.

Asian bulletin board: “I want to make it clear I don’t condom the behavior of PUAs.”

Comment on celebrity news site: “.I don’t condom hitting a woman; but like others, Rihanna is not innocent from what she has done to Chris.”

Comment on timepiece collector’s forum: “While I don’t condom or tolerate the selling of fakes for all of the reasons stated earlier, I don’t mind that a watch looks similiar and someone would prefer it over an IWC, its entirely up to them.”

A number of other creative spellings of “condone” – “codnone,” “condown,” “condon” – are also found on the web.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2011-09-21 14:57:40

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: condom << condone

I wonder if “cotton to” (which has the right stress pattern on the main word) might have made its way into the mix.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2011-09-21 18:40:11

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: condom << condone

This is quite off topic, but it struck me the first time I saw a signboard for a condo for sale, that the word should be condom. You’re not do ing together, you’re dom ing together. Come to think of it, a condom is perhaps more aptly a condo, ‘cause there you are doing it together.

Last edited by David Bird (2011-09-21 18:41:00)

Board footer