Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2011-09-21 17:00:27

kem
Eggcornista

condom << condone

“Condom” for “condone?” I could make up some reason why such a switch could make some sense (They both overlap with the semantics of “sanitize,” for example.). It is probably the work of a malapropic demon, though.

Asian bulletin board: “I want to make it clear I don’t condom the behavior of PUAs.”

Comment on celebrity news site: “.I don’t condom hitting a woman; but like others, Rihanna is not innocent from what she has done to Chris.”

Comment on timepiece collector’s forum: “While I don’t condom or tolerate the selling of fakes for all of the reasons stated earlier, I don’t mind that a watch looks similiar and someone would prefer it over an IWC, its entirely up to them.”

A number of other creative spellings of “condone” – “codnone,” “condown,” “condon” – are also found on the web.

#2 2011-09-21 19:57:40

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: condom << condone

I wonder if “cotton to” (which has the right stress pattern on the main word) might have made its way into the mix.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2011-09-21 23:40:11

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: condom << condone

This is quite off topic, but it struck me the first time I saw a signboard for a condo for sale, that the word should be condom. You’re not do ing together, you’re dom ing together. Come to think of it, a condom is perhaps more aptly a condo, ‘cause there you are doing it together.

Last edited by David Bird (2011-09-21 23:41:00)

Board footer