Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-10-05 10:54:34

David Bird
Eggcornista

the common wheel

The common wheel is semantically reasonable as a rereading of the common weal, as in put your shoulder to the wheel, Push along! (push along) Do your duty with a heart, Full of song! (Full of song). Those Mormen hymns do come back to me at the drop of a bucket.

Let’s abolish the dowry system for the common wheel or otherwise continue to be bachelors as before.
Down with the dowry

Will the Other Dave, in Downing Street, enact legislation to free potential community activists by helping them to hold down work and take some time for the common wheel?
UK blog

The common wheel shows up quite regularly as a silicism, sometimes to comical effect.

Mr. HOYER. Mr. Speaker, I say to my friend from Washington State, what we hear over here is enmity, enmity towards the common wheel.
C-Span

“It will of course, be understood that directly or indirectly, soon or late, every advance in the sciences of human nature will contribute to our success in controlling human nature and changing it to the advantage of the common wheel.” – Edward Thorndike, key psychology theorist, member of the Eugenics Committee of the USA
Conspiracy site

Looking for misapprehensions of welfare led into the seamy underbelly of prejudices, unfortunately.

Allan supposedly got into the “military” to supposedly fix his life..
he didnt went past basic training, according to him.. because of an injury, then he claims he’s a “VETERAN” and started asking for compensation and benefits. – he is now on wheelfare..
Fuzzy forum

The whites pay the greatest portion of the taxes to keep the lazy blacks on wheelfare…..
A day at the racest

Now we have hispanics coming into this country and now enrolling on wheelfare.
Dispatch from the prejudicial court

#2 2011-10-05 12:04:34

kem
Eggcornista

Re: the common wheel

Also http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=3383

My opinion has not changed (strangely). A good eggcorn.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2011-10-05 12:27:17

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: the common wheel

Ay mama, where was my brain today. Thanks for that link, Kem.

Board footer