Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2012-04-19 13:07:39

David Bird
Eggcornista

Slow folk for slowpoke

I gleaned this from an eggcorn thread on a social board from a few years back (first hit below). Good one.

My two youngest think it’s “slow folks” instead of “slow pokes,” and I don’t correct them because it seems so much more sensible their way.
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ … 0;t=018767

I was such a slow folk that day. I was the last to order food
Blog

I guess everybody’s addicted to the fast lane and no one wants to be a slowfolk like me.
Mechanic blog

#2 2012-04-20 20:42:18

burred
Eggcornista

Re: Slow folk for slowpoke

Explain what that is again? I’m a slowpork tonight.
forum

I know, I am a slowpork. Whatever.
Blog

At night, i met with andri,steven n louis. OMG! they are such a slowpork! Can u imagine i’m alone in the clarke quay mrt and i waited for three of them !! hua…
Blog

Non-rhotic evocation of porcine larghetto. I went looking for evidence that pigs might be considered in some way slower than other animals. What I found was that cats and squirrels have nonlethal terminal velocity. Despite the landing risks, there is such a thing as a pig launcher. High speed pork butt is a desirable outcome for pellet smokers.

#3 2012-04-21 00:48:24

kem
Eggcornista

More pork (see also our earlier discussion of squeal like a stuffed pig.):

Buyer’s discussion thread on Amazon: “I feel its like buying a pig in a pork. ”

Comment on African news article: “But I would wish them well while the whole issue is a pig in a pork when Zimbabwe is failing to attract foreign donors and investors with deeper pockects”

African forum: “Tanzania is poor. When he turned from being a president of the country, ... when he started responding with contempt to the basic demands of civil servants, then we woke up and said,’we bought a pig in a pork ’.”

Should be, of course, “pig in a poke (a bag).” With the addition of a cat to the menagerie, a surprisingly universal idiom.

#4 2012-04-21 20:42:01

David Bird
Eggcornista

A pig in a pork brings to mind another eggcorn I saw recently.

It could be “all in tents and purposes”... but that doesn’t makes cents because a “purpose” is not a type of dwelling, it is not like a tent at all.
Language forum

#5 2012-04-21 20:46:41

David Bird
Eggcornista

Ok, I went for the easy one. I wonder what sort of poke they have in mind – the kind you get in the eye with a sharp stick?

You bought a pig and a poke on eBay. Buyer beware.
http://forums.techguy.org/earlier-versi … ws-ce.html

This last guy really doesn’t get the idiom, and so is forced to elaborate.

Let,s face it, B.of A. may have bought a “pig and a poke” from Merrill but someone at Merrill made sure that the “Pig” was not stuffed with anything remotely considered meaty!!
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2009/03/06/ … ill-lynch/

Board footer