Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-04-19 08:07:39

David Bird
Eggcornista

Slow folk for slowpoke

I gleaned this from an eggcorn thread on a social board from a few years back (first hit below). Good one.

My two youngest think it’s “slow folks” instead of “slow pokes,” and I don’t correct them because it seems so much more sensible their way.
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ … 0;t=018767

I was such a slow folk that day. I was the last to order food
Blog

I guess everybody’s addicted to the fast lane and no one wants to be a slowfolk like me.
Mechanic blog

#2 2012-04-20 15:42:18

burred
Eggcornista

Re: Slow folk for slowpoke

Explain what that is again? I’m a slowpork tonight.
forum

I know, I am a slowpork. Whatever.
Blog

At night, i met with andri,steven n louis. OMG! they are such a slowpork! Can u imagine i’m alone in the clarke quay mrt and i waited for three of them !! hua…
Blog

Non-rhotic evocation of porcine larghetto. I went looking for evidence that pigs might be considered in some way slower than other animals. What I found was that cats and squirrels have nonlethal terminal velocity. Despite the landing risks, there is such a thing as a pig launcher. High speed pork butt is a desirable outcome for pellet smokers.

#3 2012-04-20 19:48:24

kem
Eggcornista

More pork (see also our earlier discussion of squeal like a stuffed pig.):

Buyer’s discussion thread on Amazon: “I feel its like buying a pig in a pork. ”

Comment on African news article: “But I would wish them well while the whole issue is a pig in a pork when Zimbabwe is failing to attract foreign donors and investors with deeper pockects”

African forum: “Tanzania is poor. When he turned from being a president of the country, ... when he started responding with contempt to the basic demands of civil servants, then we woke up and said,’we bought a pig in a pork ’.”

Should be, of course, “pig in a poke (a bag).” With the addition of a cat to the menagerie, a surprisingly universal idiom.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2012-04-21 15:42:01

David Bird
Eggcornista

A pig in a pork brings to mind another eggcorn I saw recently.

It could be “all in tents and purposes”... but that doesn’t makes cents because a “purpose” is not a type of dwelling, it is not like a tent at all.
Language forum

#5 2012-04-21 15:46:41

David Bird
Eggcornista

Ok, I went for the easy one. I wonder what sort of poke they have in mind – the kind you get in the eye with a sharp stick?

You bought a pig and a poke on eBay. Buyer beware.
http://forums.techguy.org/earlier-versi … ws-ce.html

This last guy really doesn’t get the idiom, and so is forced to elaborate.

Let,s face it, B.of A. may have bought a “pig and a poke” from Merrill but someone at Merrill made sure that the “Pig” was not stuffed with anything remotely considered meaty!!
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2009/03/06/ … ill-lynch/

Board footer