Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2012-07-19 14:47:27

buzhwa

peddlestool (for pedestal)

I’m spellchecking some ESL essays and one contained the phrase

“Celebrities get people’s attention and sometimes we place them on a peddlestool.”

If you google peddlestool or peddle stool, you’ll see a few examples where people are using it to mean pedestal, although I think a few are tongue-in-cheek. Probably not a full-blown eggcorn yet, but still amusing and share-worthy, I figured.

#2 2012-07-19 15:24:47

kem
Eggcornista

Re: peddlestool (for pedestal)

I think “peddlestool” is a great eggcorn. “Stool” really brings out the kenetic color in “pedestal.”

Something similar in the database: http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/english/297/pedastool/

Last edited by kem (2012-07-19 15:30:43)

#3 2012-07-19 22:12:51

David Bird
Eggcornista

Interesting new variety of lofty perch, buzhwa. It might refer to the stool small-time sellers use. Or hawkers, so that it is an elevated position. Here’s a bit of footing for that, from two milieux where being held in high regard comes with a big salary.

Sports betting forum – tennis
Big difference in his mind not just body imo, easier being number 2 than number 1. What made Pete and Roger so great was how comfortable they were with being on that pedlar-stool at the top of the game.

Medical reform – lawyers
Bring them down to reality and stop placing them on the peddler stool by giving them outrageous salaries for spending 4 hours on a case minimal and going after large cases.

Another pertinent thread: petal stool and other mountings.

#4 2012-07-20 18:18:26

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

That’s the thing with science, it’s put on a petal stall of infallability when most of it is based on human philosophy and conjecture.

I grew up in a culture and an era where women were treated on a petal stall.

No one can replace the way he put me on a petal stall and actually cared for me. He made me feel safe and loved, like a porcelain doll.

Just don’t put her on a petal stall.

Semantics?

Board footer