Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-07-19 09:47:27

buzhwa

peddlestool (for pedestal)

I’m spellchecking some ESL essays and one contained the phrase

“Celebrities get people’s attention and sometimes we place them on a peddlestool.”

If you google peddlestool or peddle stool, you’ll see a few examples where people are using it to mean pedestal, although I think a few are tongue-in-cheek. Probably not a full-blown eggcorn yet, but still amusing and share-worthy, I figured.

#2 2012-07-19 10:24:47

kem
Eggcornista

Re: peddlestool (for pedestal)

I think “peddlestool” is a great eggcorn. “Stool” really brings out the kenetic color in “pedestal.”

Something similar in the database: http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/english/297/pedastool/

Last edited by kem (2012-07-19 10:30:43)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2012-07-19 17:12:51

David Bird
Eggcornista

Interesting new variety of lofty perch, buzhwa. It might refer to the stool small-time sellers use. Or hawkers, so that it is an elevated position. Here’s a bit of footing for that, from two milieux where being held in high regard comes with a big salary.

Sports betting forum – tennis
Big difference in his mind not just body imo, easier being number 2 than number 1. What made Pete and Roger so great was how comfortable they were with being on that pedlar-stool at the top of the game.

Medical reform – lawyers
Bring them down to reality and stop placing them on the peddler stool by giving them outrageous salaries for spending 4 hours on a case minimal and going after large cases.

Another pertinent thread: petal stool and other mountings.

#4 2012-07-20 13:18:26

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

That’s the thing with science, it’s put on a petal stall of infallability when most of it is based on human philosophy and conjecture.

I grew up in a culture and an era where women were treated on a petal stall.

No one can replace the way he put me on a petal stall and actually cared for me. He made me feel safe and loved, like a porcelain doll.

Just don’t put her on a petal stall.

Semantics?

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

Board footer