Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2014-06-09 15:43:27

kem
Eggcornista

face << faze

The Eggcorn Database noted, early on, the all-too-common confusion between “faze” and “phase.” “Faze” also gets replaced by “face,” though not with the same frequency. Examples:

Racing piece by sports editor: “It wouldn’t take long before Kramer found himself battling through back markers, but it didn’t face him much as he masterfully navigated traffic on the high side.”

Fan fiction: “He heard his name, but it didn’t face him.”

Post on support network: “I have not talked to my ex for 3 month now and i feel very good about where i am at right now….. i even saw her yesterday and it didn’t face me as much I thought it would have”

The substitution is semantically plausible. When we are fazed, we are daunted/disconcerted/disturbed. Situations that face us also threaten our composure.

#2 2014-06-09 20:30:58

burred
Eggcornista

Re: face << faze

Amazing. That’s a great find. Your explanation is the only plausible one I can think of.

“That’s kinda unpleasant,” Shirosaki said, but it sounded like he was unfaced by the whole thing.
fanfic

My eyes shifted to Sehun. Unlike D.O , he was unfaced by my presence. He was neither afraid nor worried for his life.
nother fanfic

Last edited by burred (2014-06-09 20:33:11)

Board footer