Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-06-09 10:43:27

kem
Eggcornista

face << faze

The Eggcorn Database noted, early on, the all-too-common confusion between “faze” and “phase.” “Faze” also gets replaced by “face,” though not with the same frequency. Examples:

Racing piece by sports editor: “It wouldn’t take long before Kramer found himself battling through back markers, but it didn’t face him much as he masterfully navigated traffic on the high side.”

Fan fiction: “He heard his name, but it didn’t face him.”

Post on support network: “I have not talked to my ex for 3 month now and i feel very good about where i am at right now….. i even saw her yesterday and it didn’t face me as much I thought it would have”

The substitution is semantically plausible. When we are fazed, we are daunted/disconcerted/disturbed. Situations that face us also threaten our composure.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2014-06-09 15:30:58

burred
Eggcornista

Re: face << faze

Amazing. That’s a great find. Your explanation is the only plausible one I can think of.

“That’s kinda unpleasant,” Shirosaki said, but it sounded like he was unfaced by the whole thing.
fanfic

My eyes shifted to Sehun. Unlike D.O , he was unfaced by my presence. He was neither afraid nor worried for his life.
nother fanfic

Last edited by burred (2014-06-09 15:33:11)

Board footer