Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-10-08 12:36:14

CatherineR
Eggcornista

In the mitts of danger

In a student essay, Captain John Smith “found himself in the mitts of danger.” Obviously, that means in the hands of danger. I find a lot of my students are unfamiliar with “midst” and spell it “mist,” but this is the first time I’ve seen “mitts.” Makes sense, when you think about it.

#2 2014-10-08 19:13:57

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: In the mitts of danger

Cute. It’d be nice to find some other examples, to up the likelihood that it’s standard for somebody, that they really think of it that way. I for one don’t often think of mitts as a synonym for hands , though I do recognize and may occasionally use the idiomatic construction keep/get your mitts off NP .

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2014-10-08 20:14:18

burred
Eggcornista

I like it a lot … but once again, somebody got their mitts on it earlier, starting with Jorkel, then Barbara Partee, wherein Pat expatiates on the the nature of eggcorns.

#4 2014-10-17 11:11:23

CatherineR
Eggcornista

Here’s one from Tripadvisor.com: “Very peaceful in the mitts of Nature.”

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi … renas.html

Board footer