Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations were closed for a long time because of forum spam, but I have re-opened them on a trial basis.

The forum administrator (chris dot waigl at gmail dot com) reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2015-05-30

#1 2017-06-30 12:14:05

christinesmith

"wrap" for "rap"

Found this on a website for lawyers who are solo practitioners:

“Though our profession gets a bad wrap, I’ve found that there are many decent lawyers out there willing to help new solos earn some money and get started.”

This is plainly different from the eggcorn “wrapped” for “rapt” already in the database. I can’t quite figure out the mental process that gave rise to it. It made me realize, though, that “get a bad rap” is not as transparent as I supposed. Is this the same “rap” we find in a “rap on the knuckles”? Is it a variant of “rep” for “reputation”?

Your thoughts are always welcome.

#2 2017-06-30 13:40:23

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "wrap" for "rap"

I associate it with the “rap” of “rap sheet”, i.e. a police document telling when and why a person has been taken into custody. (No clear idea why it’s called that.) But a bad rap would then be an erroneous (whether maliciously or not) arrest or charge.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2017-07-01 07:46:18

kem
Eggcornista

Something odd going on here. The post by chistinesmith is a duplicate of an earlier (2006) post by Fishbait: http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … ?pid=14926

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2017-07-02 02:02:42

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

kem wrote:

Something odd going on here. The post by chistinesmith is a duplicate of an earlier (2006) post by Fishbait: http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … ?pid=14926

What’s going on here, christinesmith?

#5 2017-07-10 04:14:33

yanogator
Eggcornista

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#6 2017-07-10 05:22:55

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

I used to know a guy who’d been in prison. He told me some guys there had “tried to put a snitch jacket on me.” The image of (metaphorically) wrapping someone in something that symbolizes their character or reputation also reminds me of phrases like “wrapped in sanctity”. For this reason, I suspect that “wrap” for “rap”, while often just a spelling error, is likely an eggcorn for some users.

Board footer